As I’m sure you all have heard, Instagram has recently changed its algorithm and many bloggers (myself included) are wondering what this is going to do to our stats, followers, and likes. From what I’ve read so far, the jury is still out but there’s some hypotheses on what will occur. Here’s what I’ve found in point form:
- The new algorithm hasn’t been fully implemented, it’s coming in broad stages and Instagram is informing users every step of the way
- Brands are preparing for a change similar to Facebook with an adaptation of ‘pay to play’ but for Instagram
- Instagram has stated “We are doing this to show people more of the content they want to see, including content from businesses“
- There’s a possibility of an adaptation similar to Twitter’s While You Were Away
- As long as you continue to interact with the posts/users you love through likes and comments, Instagram will show them to you. In fact your feed will be most curated to what you love—similar to your feed on Facebook
- A benefit would be that if you follow an account or brand but you don’t always like their posts, the new algorithm will only show you posts you enjoy
- In regards to Instagram ads, the new algorithm will make them more relevant. The ones I’ve seen have been very hit/miss (mostly miss) in regards to my interest, so the algorithm would help companies target their audience better
- Your engagement rate will become more important than the number of followers you have, meaning engaging content will be the key to unlocking reach
Now what does this means for us? It seems like it’ll take more strategy and target marketing to make it on Instagram, but time will tell. Either way, I’m going to counteract this and take methods into my own hands – and I NEED YOUR HELP!
I recently started using my own hashtag #IveBeenBitTravel on Instagram, and I’d love to see others use it so I can enjoy more beautiful travel photos without having to hunt through my news feeds. SO! If you use my hashtag on your posts, I’ll feature one every Friday on my Instagram account! And on the last Friday of every month, I’ll do a round up here on my blog to show off some of the fabulous photos that have used my hashtag!
So what are you waiting for?! Will you be featured in my April round-up? I’m excited to see your photos!